Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is one of the great success stories of modern psychology. Developed primarily through the work of psychiatrist Aaron Beck in the 1960s, CBT has helped millions of people struggling with depression, anxiety disorders, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, chronic pain, insomnia, and many other conditions. Unlike therapies that focus primarily on childhood experiences or unconscious conflicts, CBT focuses on the relationship between our thoughts, emotions, and behaviours. It teaches us that how we interpret events often matters more than the events themselves.
The basic premise is both elegant and powerful. We all carry around deeply held beliefs about ourselves, other people, and the world. These “core beliefs” give rise to assumptions and rules about how life works, which in turn produce the automatic thoughts that pass through our minds every day. Those thoughts influence our emotions, and our emotions influence our behaviour. Change the beliefs near the foundation, and the entire structure above them begins to change as well.
It is a remarkably successful model.
Which raises an interesting question.
Why has CBT generally been less transformative for people with ADHD?
To be clear, CBT is not ineffective for ADHD. Research suggests that ADHD-specific CBT can improve organization, planning, emotional regulation, and coping strategies, particularly when combined with medication. Many people benefit from it. Yet compared with its success treating anxiety and depression, the improvements are generally more modest. Medication often has the larger effect on the core symptoms of ADHD, while CBT helps people manage the consequences.
That difference deserves curiosity rather than dismissal.
Perhaps the question is not whether CBT works for ADHD.
Perhaps the question is whether we have been examining the wrong beliefs.
Traditionally, CBT asks us to identify painful and inaccurate core beliefs. Beliefs such as “I am worthless,” “I am stupid,” “I am unlovable,” or “I always fail.” These beliefs naturally produce automatic thoughts filled with hopelessness, anxiety, shame, and despair. Challenging them often leads to profound improvements in mental health.
But what if the beliefs creating the greatest problems for many people with ADHD are not negative?
What if they are hopeful?
At first glance, this sounds almost absurd. Hope is generally considered one of the healthiest things a person can possess. Therapists rarely try to reduce hope, nor should they. If someone believes they can build a meaningful life, recover from depression, or improve their relationships, we usually celebrate those beliefs because they motivate action.
The problem is not hope.
The problem is hope attached to the wrong map.
Throughout my own life, I carried a collection of what I now think of as hopeful but inaccurate core beliefs.
I believed I was fundamentally neurotypical.
I believed I simply lacked discipline.
I believed I had enormous hidden potential waiting to be unlocked if only I could discover the right planner, the right motivation, the right morning routine, the right attitude, or finally “apply myself.”
I believed that one day I would become consistent.
I believed that eventually I would be able to thrive in a conventional career with conventional expectations.
These beliefs never made me feel lazy.
Quite the opposite.
They gave me hope.
Every January, every new notebook, every promotion, every self-help book, every productivity system, every fresh start felt like it might finally be the one. This year would be different. This time I had figured it out.
The remarkable thing is that these beliefs were not simply emotionally powerful. They were also continually reinforced by reality.
Every so often, I would produce extraordinary work.
I would give a brilliant presentation.
I would solve a difficult problem.
I would work for twelve hours straight on something that genuinely fascinated me.
Those moments seemed to prove that my hopeful beliefs were correct. “See?” I would tell myself. “I knew I had it in me. I just need to learn how to do this all the time.”
Then, inevitably, everything would begin to unravel again.
The administration would accumulate.
The routines would become exhausting.
The enthusiasm would fade.
The friction would build.
The burnout would return.
Looking back, I find something fascinating about this cycle.
In behavioural psychology, intermittent reinforcement is one of the most powerful schedules of reinforcement we know. Rewards that occur unpredictably tend to produce remarkably persistent behaviour. Slot machines exploit this principle. So do many forms of gambling.
I now wonder whether these hopeful but inaccurate core beliefs may be reinforced in much the same way.
Occasional bursts of brilliance become evidence that we really are just one breakthrough away from becoming the consistent, disciplined, neurotypical person we have always imagined ourselves to be. Every success strengthens the belief. Every failure is interpreted as simply not trying hard enough this time.
The belief survives not because it is accurate, but because reality occasionally appears to confirm it.
That makes it extraordinarily difficult to question.
The tragedy is not that these beliefs are pessimistic.
The tragedy is that they inspire us to walk confidently in the wrong direction.
If I believe I am simply a bright neurotypical person who lacks discipline, then the logical solution is to seek increasingly conventional success. I accept promotions into management. I buy more planners. I search for the perfect productivity system. I continue trying to build a life that would fit someone whose nervous system operates differently than mine.
The more hopeful I become, the farther I may actually travel from the life that truly fits me.
Seen this way, the problem is not that CBT teaches us to challenge our thoughts.
The problem may be that we have not challenged the hopeful assumptions sitting quietly underneath them.
Perhaps some of our most cherished beliefs deserve examination precisely because they have always seemed so encouraging.
This is not an argument against hope.
It is an argument for placing our hope in a more accurate understanding of ourselves.
A philosophy, a psychological theory, or a therapeutic model should do more than describe us. It should explain our experience, help predict what is likely to happen, and ultimately guide us toward better decisions. It should function as a map.
If following a particular map repeatedly leads us into the same forest, the same burnout, the same shame, and the same mismatched life, then perhaps the traveller is not the problem.
Perhaps the map deserves another look.
I have not abandoned hope.
Quite the opposite.
I have simply moved my hope.
Instead of hoping that one day I will finally become the neurotypical person I spent decades trying to be, I now hope to approach my life and my career in ways that don’t regularly overwhelm my nervous system.
No comments:
Post a Comment