Wednesday, July 8, 2026

The Clean Bargain: Are Subscription Services Still Worth It?



There was a time when I thought every subscription I had was worth it.

As a kid, I eagerly waited for the next issue of Owl magazine to arrive in the mailbox. Later it was Ranger Rick, Popular Mechanics, and eventually Maxim. Every month brought something tangible. I could hold it in my hands. Read it. Share it. Put it on a shelf. Some issues were better than others, but over the course of a year the value was unmistakable. The bargain was clean.

Today, nearly everything wants to become a subscription.

Music. Television. Software. News. Fitness. Food. Meditation. AI. Razors. Coffee. Cars. Video games. Even ideas. Everywhere I look, someone wants me to sign up for a monthly payment instead of simply buying something once.

At first I assumed this was simply progress. After all, automatic billing is genuinely convenient. It removes paperwork. I no longer have to write cheques, mail renewal forms, or remember due dates. Some subscription services, like Spotify in my own life, have been absolutely worth every penny.

So this isn’t an essay against subscription services.

It’s an essay about something I think we’ve slowly forgotten.

The clean bargain.

A clean bargain is an exchange where both sides clearly understand what is being traded. The price is obvious. The value is obvious. The customer can easily decide whether the exchange is still worthwhile, and ending the relationship is about as easy as beginning it. Neither side has to rely on confusion, hidden costs, psychological tricks, or administrative friction to make the arrangement work.

In other words, both people walk away feeling like they got a fair deal.

That sounds almost embarrassingly simple.

But I don’t think it describes much of modern monetization anymore.

Increasingly, I think many businesses have stopped asking,

“How do we create so much value that customers are delighted to keep paying us?”

and have started asking,

“How do we maximize revenue from normal human psychology?”

Those are very different questions.

Human beings forget things.

We procrastinate.

We overestimate how much we’ll use something next month.

We dislike paperwork.

We avoid cancelling things because it feels like admitting defeat.

We leave well enough alone.

None of these are character flaws. They’re simply normal parts of being human.

Unfortunately, they’re also profitable.

Take gym memberships.

I’ve spent decades in the fitness industry, and I know perfectly well that if every member of a large commercial gym showed up after work on the same day, many gyms simply couldn’t accommodate them. The business is built around realistic human behaviour, not optimistic slogans.

There is nothing inherently wrong with that.

But there is something worth examining when a business quietly benefits from people paying for a service they no longer use.

The same thing happens elsewhere.

Video games no longer simply sell you a twenty-dollar expansion. Instead you’re offered gems, premium gems, seasonal passes, exclusive currencies, limited-time offers, bonus rewards, loyalty points, and half a dozen different ways of obscuring what you’re actually spending. None of these systems make the game more enjoyable in proportion to their complexity. They primarily make it harder to evaluate the bargain.

Cable companies bundled channels together so that people paid for hundreds they never watched.

Many digital services make signing up wonderfully easy while making cancellation surprisingly difficult.

Every additional step keeps the revenue flowing a little longer.

Notice something interesting.

Almost none of these features improve the product itself.

They improve the billing.

That distinction matters.

Years ago someone encouraged me to build my own subscription business.

The idea was simple. Instead of continually creating new presentations and workshops, I could produce a monthly newsletter, exclusive content, or ongoing coaching and develop recurring income.

Financially, it sounded brilliant.

The more I thought about it, however, the less comfortable I became.

It wasn’t that I believed I had nothing valuable to say.

It was that I honestly couldn’t convince myself that I could produce enough genuinely worthwhile material every single month to justify asking people to keep paying me.

Three or four exceptional months?

Absolutely.

Twelve?

Year after year?

I wasn’t convinced.

I realized something uncomfortable.

I wasn’t willing to become a subscription.

That may have cost me money.

But it allowed me to keep something I value much more.

A clean bargain.

If someone bought one of my presentations, I wanted them to leave feeling they’d received far more than they expected.

If someone someday buys one of my books, I want exactly the same thing.

I’d much rather surprise people with value than quietly depend on their forgetfulness.

Interestingly, not every profession fits neatly into the subscription model anyway.

Therapy, for example, isn’t really a subscription.

It’s repeat business.

Each appointment has to justify itself.

The relationship certainly matters, but so does progress. Every session should provide enough value that the client freely decides to return. If it stops helping, the relationship ends. That, too, is a remarkably clean bargain.

Some subscriptions still deserve our loyalty.

Spotify earns mine because I use it constantly. The value continues every day.

The magazines I loved growing up earned their subscriptions because every month something new appeared in my mailbox that I genuinely looked forward to reading.

Those businesses continued earning my next payment.

That’s very different from simply continuing to collect it.

Perhaps that’s the question we should ask more often.

Not whether something is a subscription.

But whether it continues to deserve being one.

Modern businesses understandably love subscription services because they create predictable revenue, smoother cash flow, stronger customer retention, and greater financial stability. From the producer’s perspective, they’re often a wonderful business model.

The question is whether that increased value to the business is matched by increased value to the customer.

Sometimes the answer is clearly yes.

Increasingly, I suspect the answer is no.

When businesses rely more on inertia than enthusiasm…

more on friction than value…

more on billing than serving…

the bargain slowly stops being clean.

And I think people can feel it.

Perhaps that’s why so many of us have quietly reached subscription fatigue.

It’s not the monthly payments themselves that wear us down.

It’s the growing suspicion that too many companies have become experts at keeping us subscribed instead of becoming experts at remaining worth subscribing to.

Those are not the same thing.

A truly healthy marketplace shouldn’t reward businesses for making cancellation difficult or spending hard to understand.

It should reward businesses that make their value so obvious that customers gladly choose to stay.

To me, that’s what a clean bargain looks like.

And I suspect we need a lot more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment