After writing about how video games
have made money over the years, I found myself paying more attention to
something I had mostly taken for granted.
Not monetization itself.
The way monetization is presented.
For most of my life, I never thought
much about paying for games. You bought a game, brought it home, and played it.
If there was an expansion pack later, you decided whether it was worth buying.
The transaction happened, and then the game began.
The more I thought about it, the more
I realized that not all forms of monetization feel the same. Some barely
register. Others leave me vaguely annoyed. And some make me feel like someone
is trying to get one over on me.
Eventually, I found myself sorting
these experiences into three categories: clean bargains, intrusions, and dirty
tricks.
I don’t think these categories are
official. They’re simply a framework that has helped me make sense of what I’ve
been seeing.
Let’s start with the clean bargain.
A clean bargain is exactly what it
sounds like.
Here is the thing.
Here is the price.
Do you want it?
An arcade quarter was a clean bargain.
A monthly MMO subscription was a clean bargain. An expansion pack was a clean
bargain. Even a Shark Card in Grand Theft Auto Online is, in my opinion, a
clean bargain.
The value exchange is obvious. The
player understands what they are getting and what they are paying.
The player may decide the offer is
worthwhile or not worthwhile, but the offer itself is clear.
Importantly, the transaction ends.
The player buys the thing, and then
returns to playing the game.
The more I thought about this, the
more I realized that many of the monetization systems that bother me are not
actually dirty tricks at all.
They are something else.
They are intrusions.
An intrusion is when monetization
enters the player’s attention, even if it isn’t deceptive.
Suppose I launch a game and see an
advertisement for a sequel.
That’s an intrusion.
Perhaps I am playing Battlefield 2042
and the game reminds me that Battlefield 6 exists. Perhaps I log into Grand
Theft Auto Online and see a promotion for GTA+.
These things interrupt the experience,
but they are not necessarily dishonest.
The game is asking for my attention,
but it is not trying to trick me.
The reason I think this distinction
matters is because it separates annoyance from manipulation.
Not everything annoying is a dirty
trick.
Some things are simply interruptions.
Then we arrive at the third category.
Dirty tricks.
A dirty trick is not merely an
advertisement.
A dirty trick is an attempt to
increase revenue without increasing value.
Often this is accomplished by taking
advantage of predictable human behavior.
Sometimes the examples are obvious.
A subscription that is easy to start
but difficult to cancel.
A popup that is easy to open but
strangely difficult to dismiss.
Multiple layers of premium currency
that make it difficult to know how much something actually costs.
Loot boxes that obscure the
relationship between money spent and value received.
These systems are different from clean
bargains because the value exchange becomes harder to see.
The system is no longer simply
presenting an offer.
It is trying to influence behavior.
This is where concepts such as dark
patterns and sludge enter the conversation.
A dark pattern is a user interface
designed to make people do something they would not otherwise choose to do.
Sludge is friction that makes an
action unnecessarily difficult.
Both can increase revenue.
Neither necessarily increases value.
Once I learned these terms, I started
noticing them everywhere.
Not just in games.
In subscriptions.
In software.
In streaming services.
In online shopping.
In modern life generally.
What fascinates me is that many of
these systems seem designed to solve a very specific problem.
How do we make more money from the
same customer?
That is not an unreasonable question
for a business to ask.
But the answer matters.
One company might create a better
product.
Another might make cancellation more
difficult.
Both may increase revenue.
Only one has increased value.
This brings me back to games.
I have spent a lot of time thinking
about why some monetization systems bother me more than others.
At first I thought the answer was
simple: monetization makes games worse.
But that doesn’t hold up under
scrutiny.
There are monetization systems I don’t
mind at all.
Some I actively support.
The real distinction seems to be
whether the system preserves trust.
A clean bargain preserves trust.
An intrusion spends a little of it.
A dirty trick damages it.
And trust matters because trust
reduces mental overhead.
When I trust a company, I don’t have
to constantly watch my back.
I don’t have to wonder whether a
button does what it appears to do. I don’t have to study three different
currencies to figure out the real price of something. I don’t have to remember
to cancel a service before a hidden renewal date arrives.
I can focus on the thing I came for in
the first place.
The game.
This is why I find myself increasingly
interested in monetization systems that remain outside the core experience.
Buy the game.
Buy the expansion.
Pay the subscription.
Then let me play.
The transaction and the experience
remain separate.
The bargain is clear.
The trust remains intact.
And perhaps most importantly, my
attention remains focused on the reason I showed up in the first place.
To have fun.
The next time you encounter a
monetization system in a game, try asking yourself a simple question:
Is this a clean bargain, an intrusion,
or a dirty trick?
You may find yourself seeing things a
little differently.

No comments:
Post a Comment