Friday, June 19, 2026

The Model Citizen: An Internal Guide We Never Chose

 


One of the most important discoveries I have made recently is that I do not seem to be arguing with society.

I seem to be arguing with a copy of society that lives inside my own mind.

At first this sounds strange. We tend to think of social pressure as something external. Parents tell us what to do. Teachers tell us what to do. Employers tell us what to do. Governments create laws. Religious institutions establish rules.

But if social pressure remained external, it would be terribly inefficient.

Someone would have to watch us all the time.

Instead, something remarkable happens.

The rules move inside.

At some point during childhood and adolescence, we begin carrying a model of society within ourselves. We begin judging ourselves according to standards that no longer require another person to be present.

The guard moves into the prison.

The audience moves into the performer.

The tribe moves into the individual.

I have begun calling this internal structure the Model Citizen.

The Model Citizen is not a specific person.

It is not necessarily conscious.

It is not even fully verbal.

It is more like an internal template that answers questions such as:

What does a good person do?

What does a responsible adult do?

What should I be doing right now?

What should my life look like?

What should I want?

What should I feel guilty about?

Most people never consciously examine this template.

The entire point of the template is that it operates automatically.

It is a compression algorithm.

Instead of rethinking every decision from first principles, we compare ourselves against an internal image of a successful tribe member and adjust our behavior accordingly.

This is extraordinarily efficient.

It is probably one of the reasons human beings became such a successful social species.

The problem is not that we possess this mechanism.

The problem is that the mechanism can become outdated.

Or inaccurate.

Or hostile.

Long before I began thinking about the Model Citizen, other thinkers noticed pieces of the same phenomenon.

Freud called part of it the Superego.

According to Freud, children internalize parental expectations and societal rules. Eventually these rules become part of the psyche itself. The Superego praises, criticizes, rewards, and punishes.

When I first learned about Freud, I thought the Superego was mostly about morality.

Now I suspect it may also be about social conformity.

The Superego does not simply tell us not to steal.

It may also tell us what kind of career we should have.

How productive we should be.

How ambitious we should be.

What success should look like.

What failure should look like.

Freud’s Superego may be one of the earliest descriptions of the Model Citizen.

Sociologist Pierre Bourdieu approached the same mystery from a different angle.

He introduced the concept of Habitus.

Habitus refers to the deeply ingrained assumptions, expectations, habits, and perceptions that we absorb simply by growing up in a particular culture.

Habitus is what makes certain things feel normal.

Not correct.

Not true.

Normal.

And this distinction is incredibly important.

Most people do not defend the rules of their society because they have carefully examined them.

They defend them because the rules feel natural.

Obvious.

Self-evident.

This is one reason cultural assumptions are so difficult to see.

We are swimming in them.

Fish do not notice water.

People rarely notice normal.

The Model Citizen may be the psychological face of Habitus.

Habitus tells us what normal looks like.

The Model Citizen tells us who we should become.

Carl Jung approached the problem from yet another direction.

Jung believed that every person develops a Persona.

The Persona is the social self.

It is the face we present to the world.

The Persona allows us to function in groups.

Without it, social life would be impossible.

But Jung also warned that people can overidentify with the Persona.

When this happens, the social mask gradually replaces the authentic self.

The person becomes what they are expected to be.

Not what they are.

Viewed through this lens, the Model Citizen is not merely an internal guide.

It can become an internal tyrant.

Particularly when the standards it represents are unrealistic.

Or incompatible with a person’s nature.

Modern psychology generally discusses these phenomena using concepts such as socialization, identity formation, self-concept, social norms, and internalized expectations.

These terms are useful.

But I suspect they miss something important.

They describe the pieces.

They do not describe the whole machine.

The machine appears to be an internal image of an ideal tribe member.

And I suspect that image is far older than civilization.

Human beings evolved in intensely social groups.

For hundreds of thousands of years, belonging mattered.

Acceptance mattered.

Contribution mattered.

Reputation mattered.

If a person consistently behaved in ways that damaged the group, the consequences could be severe.

Under such conditions, it would make sense for evolution to favor individuals who carried an internal model of successful tribal behavior.

In other words, the Model Citizen may not merely be cultural.

It may be instinctive.

Cultures change.

The template remains.

The content changes.

The mechanism stays.

A hunter-gatherer tribe has a model citizen.

A medieval village has a model citizen.

A religious community has a model citizen.

A corporation has a model citizen.

A modern nation has a model citizen.

The image changes.

The psychological slot remains.

This idea aligns surprisingly well with my Internal Council model.

The Citizen part of the Council clearly contains much of the Model Citizen.

But the Citizen is not acting alone.

The Tribesperson also cares deeply about social acceptance.

The Ape cares about status and rank.

Even the Living Being has preferences and limits that must somehow coexist with the demands of the group.

When these forces align, life feels coherent.

When they conflict, life becomes confusing.

Much of my recent struggle may be explained by exactly this conflict.

I appear to have internalized a modern Model Citizen that values sustained administrative performance, predictable productivity, conventional career progression, and long-term conformity to organizational structures.

For many years I assumed my suffering resulted from failing to become that person.

Now I am considering a different possibility.

Perhaps the suffering comes from repeatedly trying to become someone I was never designed to be.

This is not a rejection of responsibility.

It is not a rejection of contribution.

It is not even a rejection of society.

It is an attempt to examine the map before continuing the journey.

Because if the map is wrong, effort alone cannot solve the problem.

A person can spend an entire lifetime faithfully following an inaccurate map.

And the more faithfully they follow it, the farther they may travel from where they actually need to go.

Perhaps that is why examining the Model Citizen feels so important.

Not because I wish to become irresponsible.

But because I would like to know who has been driving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment